Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Should Dentists Bother With Branding?

By Christopher Hall / PRDent Ltd


I recently visited “The Dentistry Show” at the NEC, Birmingham and listened to some of the lectures provided by industry experts.

During one such lecture I listened in astonishment when I heard a Dentist tell the audience that Branding was a complete waste of time. I discovered that the reason behind this bold statement was because Dentists do not have the same budgets as the likes of Coca Cola, Heinz and Walkers Crisps so there is little point in branding.


I do agree that Dentists generally do not have the same budgets as the big names but that is just about all I agree with. The large corporate companies gain brand recognition with a wide audience so therefore the cost is higher. Dentists should be appealing to a smaller audience so therefore the cost is proportionate.


Branding is incredibly important if you are a Dentist in private practice and you must get it right if you want success.


With Branding there are two aspects to consider. Firstly, there is the “experience” aspect of branding whereby your patients associate each point of contact that they have had with your practice. The patient experience is so important in private practice, especially if you are offering cosmetic procedures and you must identify the friction points and address them.


Secondly there is the psychological aspect of branding which is called the “brand image” whereby people create an impression in their minds about your dental practice based on the information and expectations that they have about your service. Again, this is important if you are offering cosmetic smile makeovers.


Whether your brand is the dentist, the dental practice, a product or service it shows what you are able to offer in the marketplace which means that your brand is a valuable element of your business. Maybe you want people to associate a certain quality or characteristic with your brand. If your prices are higher than your competitors you need a strong brand to make people want to pay a higher price.


First you must create your brand and then maintain it so that you can create value in the service that you offer to your patients. This is called “Brand Management”. Your brand identity will differentiate you from your competitors and will help you sell your service, especially if you do not want to be the cheapest in town.

Maybe you do not have the funding to compete with Britain’s top branded companies but you can gain brand recognition in your local community or within your target selected markets.

Today consumers are looking for a complete experience so that they can realise dreams and achieve the lifestyle that they desire. This is never truer than in private dentistry.


Has branding worked for you? I would appreciate your comments....

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Branding is often thought about as just a logo, or a simple billboard advert with a picture of the brand or product.

    Branding is about so much more, it has values, it has an essence and it communicates something about the practice.

    I believe MORE dentists should focus on branding...but first they need to understand WHAT a brand is...and alas many don't which is why they say the things you commented on from the show.

    Mark

    P.S I did a presentation on marketing at the show at NEC, did yo uby any chance listen in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, thank you for your comment about branding and you are right. Dentists do not realise that branding requires intelligent and strategic thinking in all of the main areas of marketing.

    I did listen in on your presentation and it was right on target. There are so many different ways that Dentists and Dental Professionals can reach out and engage with their patients. E-Marketing is very important and should be part of every Dentists marketing plan.

    ReplyDelete